Physiotherapy, exercise and physical activity MOOC
On 4th July Physio-pedia and Exercise Works! are launching a Physiotherapy, Exercise and Physical Activity MOOC (#PEPA16). A MOOC is a Massive Open Online Course; it is free and available globally. MOOCs offer a flexible CPD option; you can lurk quietly, dip in and out, or get stuck in, complete the activities, contribute to the discussions and evidence your CPD with a certificate of completion. The MOOC will be a global learning experience on a highly topical subject…and from the comfort of your own home!
To kick things off we are running a Tweetchat on physiotherapists as leaders in physical activity. The hashtag for the Tweetchat will be the same hashtag as the MOOC: #PEPA16
Physical inactivity is one of the leading causes of poor health and death worldwide, and physiotherapists have a key role to play in encouraging and enabling their patients to increase their physical activity levels. In this tweetchat we will be focusing on the amazing opportunity that physiotherapists have to promote physical activity every day. Information from physiotherapists is seen as trustworthy and credible and working closely with people with long-term conditions naturally gives rise to “teachable moments” when there is an enhanced opportunity for behaviour change.
We will discuss how we can maximise these opportunities and we’ll consider future opportunities. There is growing evidence that active healthcare professionals promote physical activity more often and more effectively, so we will also consider our responsibilities in managing our own health, in creating active physiotherapy environments and in developing community links. This links with the #WeCommunities initiative for healthcare professionals to #GetActive this August.
Join us on Monday 13th June to tweet about all things active!
- Link to Physiotherapy, Exercise and Physical Activity MOOC Sign up here to get regular updates about the PEPA MOOC https://physiopedia.formstack.com/forms/physical_activity_registration_2016
- What is a MOOC? http://www.physio-pedia.com/Open_Online_Courses
- BJSM-Prof Bauman podcast https://soundcloud.com/bmjpodcasts/prof-adrian-bauman-on-why-and-how-all-health-professionals-can-promote-physical-activity
- CMOs infographic https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/start-active-stay-active-a-report-on-physical-activity-from-the-four-home-countries-chief-medical-officers
- Physical activity: brief advice for adults in primary care (2013) NICE guideline PH44
- Physical activity: for NHS staff, patients and carers (2015) NICE quality standard 84 http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/QS84
- 23 ½ hours https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo