This weeks chat is being hosted by CSP Assistant Director @GillRphysio and CSP Professional Adviser @sas1933 alongside other staff members of the CSP who will be on hand to answer questions.
In light of the COVID19 pandemic, universities in England and Wales can now offer students the option to gain clinical experience (and, potentially, gain placement hours) as employed Band 3 support workers. This option is available to students who are in their second year of their undergraduate degree or first year of their MSc. (We anticipate similar guidance for the other UK nations to be published shortly.)
The Department of Health and Social Care has allocated funding to support these roles through specialist COVID funded workforce budgets. The CSP and universities across the UK are currently in discussion about how and where to put this into practice.
Questions to consider.
- CSP’s resources and FAQs for students and HEIs during COVID-19
- CSP’s Q&A video for students (filmed 20 April)
- Health Education England’s guidance for AHP students in England
- Update on take-up: https://www.hee.nhs.uk/coronavirus-covid-19/hee-covid-19-student-data-collections-support-paid-placement-deployment
- Health Education and Improvement Wales’s guidance for AHP students in Wales
- Letter from Scottish Government about the deployment of students and returners (17 April 2020)
- Joint statement from HCPC, Council of Deans and the UK Chief Allied Health Professions Officers (6 April 2020)https://www.hcpc-uk.org/news-and-events/news/2020/joint-statement-on-how-we-will-support-and-enable-the-student-allied-health-professional-workforce-to-respond-to-the-covid-19/